Saturday, November 13, 2004

Opening Day 2, 04

On this morning I am to hunt alone, durring the draw I selected Discovery which is at the North West side of the club. I was actually at a place called New discovery which is slightly south west of Discovery.

The area I wanted to shoot had no cover so I had to settle for a clump of bent over Bull Toolies. It was a slow morning realative to yesterday but I knew I could get a few birds here.

Finaly 3 came in, feet down ready to land and with my over and under I took two shots and downed both drakes. While walking out to get the birds I had to dart back into the toolies cause another single was comming in to land with a pair 50 yards behind him. I let him land right next to me in the pond and continue to call the pair in. When the Drake "in the air" was 20 yards out bammo, I had him, then I turn on the bird that was taking off of the pond bammo, I got him. 10 minutes had gone by and I had 80% of my mallard limit. But no banded birds???

1 hour later in came a very none comital drake, he would not approach me straight on, always off to the side. On his 3 pass I took him, first shot was a miss, the 2nd shot was a wing shot and he came down very very alive. I ran over to were he went down in the layed down toolies and found a whole with blood and feather all around but the feathers were a hens? Damit, I shot a hen,,, I started lifting up toolies to look under them up found nothing. Then I though I need to go at this systemactically, row by row. 10 minutes into this search I sae it swimming 5 feet away from me. I had already layed my gun down so I through my body in the air like a sky diver, splat... Did i have it was it under me,,, no, then I felt my upper right hand move. I looked up and sure enough My hand was on the broken wind,,, gottoem. After doing the neck thing I held him up and saw that it was a young imature drake. "young drakes always have feathers that look like hens". I held him up to inspect the feet and there was my reward,,, a band. Getting my self wet and muddy was well worth this.

A perfect 5 drake mallard limit, I was the first hunter in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home