Monday, December 27, 2004

12 Minute Hunt

5 In the South

Had trouble starting extra motor so I got to the pond alittle late. While setting out decoys many birds were landing in the pond,,, about 4 pairs. After setting up the decoys and hiding the boat my alarm went off signifying that it was shooting time and I still have 40 yards before I got to my choosen hid where I had placed my seat.

As I was getting close to the Hid I noticed that many birds kept landing 75 yards to the East of me just behind the blind in 7. I wadded cross the pond and stood there amoung flattened toolies looking for a place to hid, then heard wing beats over head looked up and there was a pair of mallards 15 feet over my head, bammo, bammo #1 bird down but two shots. Came back from picking up the bird and coninuted to look for a place to hid and again heard wings over my head, looked up and there were 4 mallards 15 feet over my head, bammo, bammo got #2 tried for a double but missed. Walking back with this one I kept my eyes in the air and as soon as I got back to my wide open spot in came another pair, bammo, bammo #3,,, but two shots again!!! Walking back eyes in the air to my pile of shells "my now Hid in the open" in comes another pair, bammo got him, finally #4 is a one shot bird... At this point I was roasting and needed to take some closthes off from running around,,, heck its only been 9 minutes and I should have a legal limit of Darke Mallards. I pealed down my waders and had one arm out of my jacket when wings over head again,,, went up to shoot bammo bammo nothing fell,,, it was a clean miss. Trying quickly to remove the jacket and get to my base layors it happens again, this time when i have my wool shirt off, bammo bammo another clean miss,,,nothing!!! Ok,,, I am not lifting my head or looking up until I am all put back together, fortunately nothing came over head while I was doing this. Everything back on with just the right amount of comfortable one shot shooting attire I continue. Four dive into the pond and land 20 feet from the wing flapper but they are 50 yards from me. How can I sneak these things,,, then in comes another pair they circle twice wide of all the decoys to the West of me, I mouth call and they head straight at me 15 yards bammo #5. While walking back with this one now that Im done, in come another pair right over the top of me 10 yards bammo #6 down. After picking this one up I get back to my shell pile and start disposing of the shells when in comes another pair and the drake plops in the water 10 yards from me... How can I pass up my favorite water head/shot for the perfect eating bird,,, bammo #7. Time check,,, its only 7:05am I've only been hunting for only 12 minutes!!! Nice morning, my only complaint is it went by too fast... I unload, lay the gun on the pile of birds and pick up the last toss him near the pile and walk straight to the boat with out a gun,,, too much temtation and I've already shot more shots than the entire club.

With everything in the boat I head back to the boat dock and the current time is 7:20am. The balance of the morning was spent moving the new beds in my room then loading the old beds in the truck. Then I was off to start the tractor that wouldnt start earlier in the week. Got it started and proceed to disk for the next 3 hours! So about Noon I head back to the shed when I see BB comming in. He asked how i did i said, it was a 12 minute all Drake hunt... With two bonus birds!!! All green!

1 Comments:

Blogger darrylant said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my hotel provincial new orleans related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home